"To inspire them to realize more and more of their capacities for living meaningful lives. Because there certainly is meaning to life."
-John Coltrane on Uplifting Others

Monday, March 1, 2010

Setting up a podcast has become something of a frustration. I know the technology, but I'm having trouble getting all the pieces together. I need to go to record a snippet of John Coltrane to illustrate how someone should approach reading Langston Hughes. That's right, I decided for my first podcast, I'll go over some of the contexts behind Hughes' poetry. I'll be putting this recording up on my class website in the next couple of days, and we'll go from there.
It's been a frustrating couple of weeks in education. A school district in Rhode Island decided to fire all the teachers at an under-performing school, which doesn't make much sense. What will happen to all the students? Will they be shipped off to other schools, which are probably experiencing budget cuts and oversized classrooms? If the incentive is to do better at the national standards, isn't dismissing all the teachers to clear up room for budget counterproductive? It just seems to make sense to place greater emphasis on the areas where we need the most medicine, then taking away the money. What do you guys think?

1 comment:

  1. The cuts in education are distressing all the way around. I just read the other day of Kansas City, where they are closing HALF of the schools in the KC district. It makes the cuts here in Utah seem more palatable.

    What do I think about this? Well, it's not good for education, unless it makes us think about different and maybe better ways of doing things out of necessity. But sometimes budget cuts have to be made. It's a difficult situation to deal with.

    ReplyDelete