"To inspire them to realize more and more of their capacities for living meaningful lives. Because there certainly is meaning to life."
-John Coltrane on Uplifting Others

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Quick Review

Let me take this post to recap what I've learned thus far in Digital Civilization.
-Transition from Ptolemaic to Copernican system shifted authority; similar to shift from Britannica to Wikipedia
-Humanists elevated the power of words; Microsoft Word doesn't compare, but I use it anyway
-Metadata details and categorizes data; metafiction attempts to define the importance of writing fiction
-Open source is interesting, and I am still trying to grasp the concept surrounding the idea
-Protestantism and Personal Learning Networks work in a similar fashion; both break from traditions (Catholicism and traditional organizations) to create something new. I posted about this earlier.
-I read Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam to understand the decline of traditional organizations, but I took his ideas further into the digital age.
-I interviewed and was hired for a job teaching English using Skype.

Digital media or concepts that I've tried so far this semester:
-Skype
-Wordle
-Google Blog Search
-Crowdsourcing (Goodreads and Amazon)
-Diigo
-Just Paste It
-Google Docs publishing
-Edit Html on Blogger
-Flickr Commons and the Commons on Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment